Can you remember how dark and dreary your house was before you installed a Velux roof window? You probably don’t want to go back to that now that you’ve experienced a brighter home that is illuminated by natural light. So, you need to take care of your window. Velux Melbourne experts recommend that you keep your Velux windows clean and maintained to ensure its longevity.
If you don’t have one yet, you can buy Velux skylights online. However, do make sure that it is installed by a professional to avoid any mistakes. A sloppy installation will only cause you more problems later on – and having it fixed will most likely cost more.
How to clean your Velux window
Skylights are normally installed out of reach, which makes them difficult to clean them. It would be great if you can afford the luxury of buying a self-cleaning glass. If not, you will likely need a scaffolding, ladders, or other equipment to reach your Velux Melbourne roof window during inspection and maintenance. Here are some ways to properly clean your roof window.
- Pull down the vent bar to rotate the sash – the moving part of the window – until it is fully rotated at 180°. Slide the barrel bolt into the housing found at both sides of the frame to secure the sash in position. This puts the window in a safe cleaning position that leaves both your hands free for cleaning.
- Velux Melbourne experts recommend that you use a non-abrasive sponge or a cloth that is clean, soft, and lint-free to clean the pane. You may also use a squeegee but make sure that it is not made of metal to avoid damaging your skylight. Soft clean water is often enough to clean the pane. However, if you live in areas with hard water, you may need to add a small amount of detergent to help soften the water.
- When you buy Velux windows online, you also need to think about how you can preserve its longevity. One way to achieve this is by keeping all of its accessories clean. Skylights have many parts that need proper care and maintenance to keep it fully operational. For example, it is recommended that you clean your roof window’s flashing at least once a year. This ensures that any debris or leaves are removed so that rainwater can flow freely.
Glass cleaning tips
- Avoid cleaning your roof window during the hottest time of the day.
- Start at the highest row and work down if you have multiple rows of skylights.
- To loosen the debris and dirt, soak the skylight glass in clean water with a soap solution.
- To clean the glass, use a mild glass cleaner with a non-abrasive applicator.
- Don’t let the cleaning solution sit too long on the glass.
- Use a lint-free cloth or squeegee to remove the cleaning solution.
Having a roof window does more than just beautify your living space. It also helps you save on energy by allowing enough natural light into your home. If you’re looking for an authorised reseller of Velux Australia products, then look no further than Skylights Online. You can also buy skylights Melbourne accessories from them. For more information, visit their website at: https://www.skylights-online.com.au/buy/